Saturday, December 20, 2008

Shaker Nightstand, (Cherry)

.






"I did a little more carving in Sudbury, but not very much. It wasn’t until 1982 or 1983, when I was contemplating retiring in another year or two or so, that I again began thinking about making things of wood. This time I wanted to do some cabinet making. I bought a Mark V Shopsmith and turned the Sudbury basement into a woodworking shop."

"By 1984 Zan was fighting ovarian cancer and I retired from Cryovac in order to have more time to be with her. We were together a great deal, but two evenings a week I drove over to Lexington to take a course in woodworking at Minuteman Vocational School. I thought I would like to make a tall clock, but Zan asked me to make a hutch, something she had always wanted for the Sudbury dining room. At the vocational school each student had to submit a project to make under the instructor’s guidance, and it had to be something not too complicated. I decided to make a Shaker style nightstand out of cherry wood just to get the hang of things and learn how to use the various woodworking machines. Then I would make the hutch."

.

No comments:

Post a Comment